The retailers decided to act following pressure from regulators, lawmakers, and parent advocates.
The company’s decision comes after reports of safety concerns about the toys, which have been linked to choking hazards, skin irritation, and potential ingestion of toxic chemicals.
Water bead toys are made from tiny, colorful beads that expand when placed in water. They are often used in sensory bins and for other play activities. However, there have been several reports of children choking on the beads, and some experts have warned that they can also irritate skin and eyes.
In addition, there have been concerns about the potential for water bead toys to leach toxic chemicals into the water. A 2019 study by the Environmental Working Group found that some water bead toys contained high levels of lead and cadmium, which are both harmful to human health.
Amazon’s decision to stop selling water bead toys is a positive step in the right direction. The company should be commended for taking this action to protect the health and safety of children.
Here are some of the reasons why Amazon is stopping selling water bead toys:
- Choking hazards: Water bead toys are small enough to be swallowed by children, which can lead to choking.
- Skin irritation: Water bead toys can contain chemicals that can irritate the skin and eyes.
- Potential ingestion of toxic chemicals: Some water bead toys have been found to contain high levels of lead and cadmium, which are harmful to human health.
If you have any water bead toys at home, please dispose of them properly. Do not let children play with them without adult supervision.
Here are some safe alternatives to water bead toys:
- Playdough: Playdough is a classic toy that is safe for children to play with. It is made from non-toxic ingredients and can be used for a variety of creative activities.
- Sand: Sand is a great sensory play material that can be enjoyed by children of all ages. It can be used to build castles, dig for buried treasure, and create other imaginative structures.
- Water: Water is a versatile play material that can be used for a variety of activities, such as splashing, making boats, and painting.