Wallabies lose to England at Twickenham, recording second-straight defeat


England has chalked up an eighth successive victory over the Wallabies, running in two tries to nil at a packed Twickenham to run out 32-15 victors.

Freddie Steward and the unexpectedly prolific Jamie Blamire crossed for England, who kept the Wallabies at bay with some pinpoint goal kicking by Owen Farrell and Marcus Smith in a penalty-ridden encounter on Saturday.


England scored a superb try through fullback Steward after seven minutes, but as both teams conceded a string of penalties, Farrell and James O’Connor punished each other from the tee to keep it tight at 16-12 at half-time.

The ragged, undisciplined nature continued in the second half. 

Australia was hit with two yellow cards in the game and conceded a whopping 18 penalties, with neither side really threatening the tryline but England still in the ascendancy.

Farrell, winning his 100th cap for England and the Lions, went off injured after landing five penalties and a conversion.

But Harlequins’ prodigy Smith added another penalty to stretch the lead before replacement hooker Blamire sent the home fans wild when he galloped in from 60 metres in the final minute.

marcus smith runs with the ball in both hands
Harlequins 10 Marcus Smith created England’s opening try and was lively throughout.(Getty Images: Mike Hewitt)

England have now won all eight of their games against the Wallabies since losing to them in the pool phase to be knocked out of the 2015 World Cup.

“We stuck at it,” coach Eddie Jones said.

“We had a lot of setbacks and a tough week and had to battle really hard today. I was really pleased with the attitude.

Asked why England lost their way in the second half, Jones said: “Penalties in possession tend to disrupt the flow of your attack — there was no lack of intent.”


Saturday’s game certainly will not be the most memorable of encounters for many of the fans. But for fullback Steward, who nabbed his first international try, it will never be forgotten.

“It’s an incredible experience. Running out in front of 80,000 here, it’s the stuff of dreams,” he said after being named man of the match.

“Marcus [Smith] was brilliant. He put me through the gap, I dived over and it was just elation.”

Freddie Steward dives with the ball under his right arm as Manu Tuilagi runs behind him with his arms stretched wide
Freddie Steward got England off to a brilliant start, to the delight of the 82,000-strong crowd.(Getty Images: Mike Hewitt)

That try came after seven minutes when Smith slipped a well-disguised inside pass to Steward, who then left Kurtley Beale clutching air with a killer step.

England had most of the attacking initiative but failed to cash in on some good opportunities as Farrell and O’Connor popped over a succession of straightforward three-pointers.



Australia wing Tom Wright was sin-binned for a high shoulder hit on a rampaging Jamie George after 30 minutes but England failed to make their numerical advantage pay as another penalty each made it 16-12 at half time.

O’Connor’s fifth penalty immediately after the restart briefly closed the Wallabies to within a point but a second yellow for prop Angus Bell gave Farrell three more points.

Again though, England failed to press their advantage home before his return as the emptying of both benches took the momentum out of the clash.

With Farrell off injured, Smith added a further penalty to make the game effectively safe and the home crowd got the lift they desperately wanted when Sam Simmonds broke up a final Australian attack in his own 22 and fed Blamire to trundle home.


The man who barely gets a start at Newcastle has now scored a remarkable six tries in his four Test appearances.

After thumping Tonga last week, England will complete their autumn campaign against South Africa while Australia, beaten by Scotland and struggling to overcome some big-name absences, will play Wales desperate to avoid a hat-trick of defeats.

“We got hammered in the penalty count. We just made too many errors, dumb penalties that put us under pressure,” their coach Dave Rennie said.

“It was frustrating. There was a lot of character and at 16-12 we fought hard. If we’d strung a little more phase play together … but you’ve got to be disciplined and you’ve got to be accurate. We were neither tonight.”



Source link



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here