Nick Kyrgios is in huge doubt for the Australian Open after contracting COVID-19 just a week out from the season-opening major.
- Nick Kyrgios says he has tested positive to COVID but has no symptoms
- The 26-year-old withdrew from the Melbourne Summer Set last week, citing asthma
- He still hopes to compete at the Open “if all goes well”
Kyrgios pulled out of the Sydney Tennis Classic on Monday just hours before his match against Italian firebrand Fabio Fognini.
The 26-year-old withdrew from the Melbourne Summer Set last week with a mystery illness that sparked his asthma.
The world number 114 was cleared of COVID-19 at the time, but on Monday confirmed he had contracted the virus.
The Australian Open begins on January 17, giving him just a week to recover and be cleared to return.
If Kyrgios does feature at the Australian Open, he will do so without having played competitively since September.
“I just want to be open and transparent with everyone, the reason I have had to pull out of Sydney is because I tested positive for COVID,” Kyrgios said on Instagram.
“I wish everyone all the best and to stay safe where you can. If all goes well I will see you all at the Australian Open.”